Saturday, August 28, 2010

Triple Dark Chocolate Brownies - a Recipe Modification Gone So Very Right

Remember that nasty little craving I mentioned in one of my previous posts? Well.... when the hubby requested chocolate chip cookies, I flat out refused. I had a gnawing in the pit of my stomach and it wasn't for no cookie. I desired something like cake. Something with gooey chocolate, lots of chocolate. BROWNIES. He said he was okay with that. He's a smart man and knows better than to contradict a PMS'ing woman who's craving chocolate.

I pulled out my trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook and looked up the stained recipe for Cake Brownies . It's nothing fancy - just a quick and simple dump and mix.

Original
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  3/4 c butter
  1/2 c cocoa
1 1/4 c sugar

Melt butter in saucepan and add cocoa and sugar.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Add to mixture in saucepan and stir thoroughly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1/2 c flour
   1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Sift into a separate bowl.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1 c milk

Alternately mix milk and flour to the mixture in saucepan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1/2 c nuts

Add if you like... or not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     Pour into 8x8 baking dish. Bake @ 350.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now comes the fun part: modification.
  • The first thing I always change in a recipe, is the sugar. I cut out a half or a quarter of the total, depending on what I'm making. Cutting in half is extreme, so I don't recommend it unless you're adding some fruit or something else that will add sweetness. I dropped my sugar from 1 1/4 c. to 1 c.
  • I added a couple of squares of dark chocolate to the melted butter, along with the stated amount of cocoa. This stuff was really quite bitter so I was a little concerned, but I was at the mercy of the chocolate beast and just kept on adding.
  • Just before baking, I sprinkled some dark chocolate chips over the top. I was really hoping for the gooey here, but instead, I got little pockets of pure chocolate. This confirms my belief in beneficial disappointments.
 Modified
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3/4 c butter
1/2 c dark cocoa
   1 c raw sugar

Melt butter in saucepan and add cocoa and sugar.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (okay, maybe a little more)

Add to mixture in saucepan and stir thoroughly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 1/2 c Naturally White All Purpose flour
   1 tsp aluminum-fee baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Sift into a separate bowl.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1 c milk  

Alternately mix milk and flour to the mixture in saucepan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
1/2 c pecans (cause the 17 yr old said pecans were best)

Add if you like... or not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                     Pour into 8x8 baking dish. 
                    Sprinkle top with 6 oz dark chocolate chips
                    Bake @ 350.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it was done, I was the first one to dive in. Mmmmm. Beast satisfied. 

I know I give the impression here that it's my guys that are the sugar-freaks, and that is absolutely true. But, when the mom denies herself for so long (in other, more specific terms - watches the guys sit around and indulge in Ben & Jerry's when she must abstain), she becomes just as freakish as the rest of 'em. 

At least that's my story... and I'm sticking to it.




Print

2 comments:

  1. Sound pretty darned good! I have a raving chocolate craving and this should satisfy the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really not all that sweet... I kind of miss the original sugar amount. Tastes great, but adds the inches, lol! Still though, they do satisfy.

    ReplyDelete