Friday, July 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars: From Scratch!

I ran across this recipe thanks to a tweet by @jules_stonesoup. Mmmm... it sounded so good; just like peanut butter bar cookies, only for breakfast.

I asked @lynnskitchenadv, the author of the blog post, if it would work in the crock pot since this heat is killing me, but she didn't think so. Oatmeal is notorious for getting mushy, so I think she's right. I'd better not even attempt it.

As I was reading over the recipe, my oldest son came in and, as usual, began to read over my shoulder. (Don't ya hate it when kids do that!) He exclaimed, right over my left ear, that it looked just like what he'd made for breakfast that morning.

Being that the child is 17, I don't really have any clue what he makes for breakfast anymore. It's an ignorant bliss kind of thing. My only stipulation for the last three years has been, "It must have protein somewhere amongst the jam and bread. Make an egg, slap some pnut butter on it... and no, the cake doesn't count as a viable breakfast, even though there are eggs and milk in it." It's been a trying few years, I'll tell ya. But I digress.

Anyway, he explained that he made a kind of pnut butter granola in the microwave. (Heh, the microwave. Did I not teach him well, or what?) So here's his take:
  • Melt a gob of peanut butter and a good bit of honey in the microwave. 
  • Toss in the oats, then stir. 
  • Add some raisins, nuts, bananas, and pour milk over the top. 
  • Oh, and don't eat too much cause it's really filling. 
I was so impressed with the healthiness of his breakfast (minus the good bit of honey thing), that I didn't have the heart to tell him that he made muesli, not granola or peanut butter baked oatmeal. Still, it had all my prerequisites for a decent breakfast. I am so proud.

If it's not too hot where you live, give Lynn's Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal a try, then let me know how you like it.
http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/2009/05/peanut-butter-baked-oatmeal.html




Print

No comments:

Post a Comment