Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Fool Proof Key Lime Pie?

It had been in the oven for 10 minutes, so I bent over the oven to check the pie - still gooey - huh? Now, I've made this pie before... it's never taken more than 10 minutes. Hmmm. I straightened up and stared at the top of the stove. Then looked to the clock. Okay, 5 more minutes. It was still creamy goo. I stood, staring at the stove again, thinking. Maybe there's something wrong with the oven... no, it's acting normal. Maybe it's just not as hot a 350 as the recipe's test oven. Hmmm. I looked back at the clock. Can't be that... I've used this oven far too much for that to be the case... 350 in this oven is plenty hot enough for a Key Lime Pie. Hmmm. It did taste a bit different... not as sweet, more sour... tasted good, but off somehow. I turned and looked at the table. Maybe I forgot to do something, but it was such a simple recipe, how could I forget - oh no -  I paced the kitchen, running my hands through my hair. No, no, no!!! The pacing became more frantic. I didn't... oh no, I didn't. I came to a dead stop in the middle of the kitchen, staring blankly at my youngest son who was watching me with wary eyes. Yes, I did.

"What'd you do?" he asked.

"I forgot to separate the egg yolks from the whites." I answered, still staring off into space.

"Well, you've done that before, right? And it turned out fine, right?"

I turned to face him again, "That was a pudding, and yes, it was fine. Just soupier than normal. Good grief, we'll have to suck up the pie with a straw."

After 20 minutes, I pulled the thing from the oven with the center still slightly gooey. Heavens, the eggs ought to be done after that long in the oven. Once it was cool, I put it in the fridge overnight, thinking that it had set pretty well. Maybe... just maybe it wasn't a complete loss.

The next day, I pulled it out of the refrigerator, cut it up, and placed a slice on everyone's plate. It looked good... not soupy at all. The straws could stay in the cabinet. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched my husband's face carefully as he took his first bite.

"Why is it slightly grainy? Is that the egg whites?" He looked up at me and I just stared back.

"I think so..."

Okay, so it wouldn't be considered perfection. My youngest son was scarfing his piece down so it must not be too terribly bad. I took a bite... texture was nice, not as creamy as it should've been, but it was alright. It wasn't as rich, but to my mind, that was a good thing. All in all, I was pleased with my foolish goof. But hubby was missing his rich, creamy pie. Ah well, at least it was edible.

Try your hand at this simple recipe found here: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/keylime.htm
Oh, and don't forget to separate the eggs.



Print

No comments:

Post a Comment