Friday, July 23, 2010

Eternally Yours, With Suds

The Battle of the Dish. Never ending. Far reaching.
I've had it up to here. And you know the here I'm talking about. Teenagers that gripe about washing the dishes. Teenagers that gripe about fixing a meal. Teenagers that FORGET to even prepare the meal.
So, what shall we all eat tonight, then?
Uhhh, cereal?
Harrumph. TEENAGERS.

Insert Serenity Prayer here:

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Ahh. Well, that explains a lot. I guess teenagers are 'the things I cannot change.' Fine. I might not be able to change them, but by God Almighty, I will have clean dishes and a hot meal WITH veggies. At 1 a.m. I pulled out two sets of dishes, cups, and silverware; marked them all with each child's initials, and informed the buggers the next morning that they were not to touch another dish in the house unless they were cooking something. 


After every meal they were to wash up ONLY their own dishes. 
This was met with wide-eyed incredulity and exclamations of Really? No more 'my turn to wash all the dinner dishes'? 
Next, I told them they were no longer required to cook dinner at all. Another look. 
Yes, really. I'll cook for myself and your daddy, and wash up all our dishes. We'll try it for a week and see how we like it. You guys just take care of you.


I feel that I must stop here and explain our current situation. For the past 2 years, I've been going to college full time, working part time, and homeschooling. It became imperative that the guys step up and help out with the cooking and the cleaning if we were all to survive this. Even for adults, cooking for everyone and then turning around to wash the mountain of dishes gets old. We gripe. We complain. I do understand. They did pitch in and we have survived. No - more than survived. They insured my 3.9 GPA, and learned how to run a household on their own. Here's to my teenagers: may they live long and prosper! 


A day into the experiment and they like being responsible for only their own dishes. And I love cleaning the kitchen my way again. I'm not nagging about what was left undone and wondering whose turn it is to do what. But already, they are tired of fixing dinner for themselves. Maybe after the week's up, we'll try co-op cooking. Might be kind of nice - who knows?



Print

No comments:

Post a Comment