Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Best Present for a New Bride


Some of my favorite recipes come from the tried and true Better Homes and Gardens recipe book. You know the one with red gingham checks all over the cover. The best present a new bride could ever ask for. It was way better than all those towels I received. Eighteen years later and I still have some of those towels. They're cut up into cleaning rags. But the cookbook – it's smeared with butter and flour, egg goo, and a few drops of oil. It's positively loved.

This is the book that I used when I tried my hand at sourdough bread for the first time. And dinner rolls. And ranger cookies. And sugar cookies. I did check out the vegetable casseroles a couple of times, just on a lark, but cooking is not my thing. Baking is. That's one of the many wonderful things about this recipe book; it has everything from cookies and pies to salads and roasts, anything that would fit anyone. It is truly the one-size-fits-all of cookbooks.

But that's not the best thing about this particular cookbook. It tells you how to do anything and everything in the kitchen. Except boil water, however. They assume you know a few basics. If you stayed in the back of the classroom during Home Ec like I did, praying the teacher wouldn't ask you to explain the difference between chopping and dicing, then this is the cookbook for you. It's more than a collection of recipes; it's a solid reference book that will gain a place of prominence in any young woman's kitchen.



Print

2 comments:

  1. I have many cookbooks and baking books, but I have never had this classic. Maybe I can find a copy at my local thrift shops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see that price that showed up with the amazon link? Amazing... looks like there are some good deals to be had on this book!

    ReplyDelete